Privacy Commitment and Policy
At Acclaim Ability Management Inc., the protection of personal information is integral to our quality services. We respect full privacy rights and we will use, collect, disclose, retain and destroy all information in a reasonable and responsible manner. All Acclaim staff is committed to upholding the strict confidentiality standards reflected in our policy and practice, drafted in compliance with all applicable legislation.
Acclaim is responsible for personal information under our control and has designated a privacy team who are accountable for Acclaim’s compliance with privacy principles and legislation. Acclaim’s Chief Privacy Officer is Dawn Yearwood, Vice President, Integrated Solutions & Compliance. The privacy team includes designated individuals in southern Ontario, northern Ontario, eastern Canada and western Canada.
The Information We Collect
Depending on the purpose(s) necessary under your working relationship with us, we collect information that can include but is not limited to the following:
- Contact Information – Name, mailing address, telephone number, email address
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Ethnic/cultural/racial background
- Language/need for an interpreter
- Date of injury/illness/accident
- Social Insurance Number/banking information
- Medical history and current health information – prognosis, diagnosis, treatment
- Employment history/performance/attendance
- Salary earnings
- Intent to change jobs
- Education/skills training/vocational/avocational history/current status
- Employee number
- Claim number/Insurance information
- Legal counsel contact information
For any Acclaim service obtained/received, we will identify the purpose(s) for which the personal information is being collected.
Generally, we collect and use the personal information to:
- Assist the Ability Consultant to evaluate current status, needs and to make recommendations for access to treatment and rehabilitation services; and to facilitate return to work or return to activities of daily living.
- Develop appropriate treatment and rehabilitation plans.
- Determine eligibility for benefits, on behalf of the employer or benefits provider.
- Properly administer the products and services we provide, including the assessment of claim.
- Pay income replacement benefits on behalf of an employer or benefits provider.
We will obtain informed consent before collecting, using or disclosing personal information. Upon consent we will identify each purpose for collection, use and disclosure. If additional purposes for collection, use or disclosure develop after initial consent, these purposes will be identified and new consent will be obtained. Individuals may decline or revoke consent in writing at any time. If consent is withdrawn, this may limit the services or products we are able to provide. In some circumstances, legal requirements may prevent the client from withdrawing consent.
The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by Acclaim when the information is collected. Personal information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
We will not collect, use or disclose personal information in any manner that is not reasonable and/or necessary in delivering the professional service our company has been solicited to provide.
We use personal information only for the purposes identified and consented to upon collection. These purposes relate directly and reasonably to the services for which we have been solicited to provide. We do not share personal or contact information with other parties for marketing purposes.
As noted above, Acclaim will not disclose personal information without informed consent, except under the following unusual circumstances:
- When individuals pose a danger to themselves (e.g. threatens suicide) or to other (e.g. threatening to injure another).
- There is suspicion of child abuse/neglect.
- Where the client’s occupation is considered to be safety sensitive and said client is posing imminent risk of harm to self or others carrying out their job duties.
- Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it was collected, unless required by law to retain such information for a longer period of time. Personal information will be retained and/or destroyed in accordance with Acclaim policies and applicable laws.
We accept responsibility in keeping all personal information accurate and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes of collection, use, and disclosure above mentioned. Maintenance of accurate information is integral to ensure our ability to provide necessary interventions and appropriate services. We will comply with any request to make accurate or update personal information when necessary for the purposes of collection, use, and disclosure above mentioned.
Safeguarding Personal Information
We ensure that all personal information is reasonably secure in relation to its sensitivity when in our possession in any form. Personal Information is stored in strict confidence and accessed only by authorized Acclaim personnel, agents or consultants retained by Acclaim. All personal information is safeguarded with restricted access to those authorized and securely stored for no longer than necessary. All personal information is destroyed when no longer needed in a secure manner appropriate to the data’s form.
Essentially, this means that personal information is protected:
- Physically, by building security measures and physical barriers
- Organizationally, by our policies, procedures and access levels
- Technologically, by the use of passwords, encryption, firewalls and anti-virus software
All staff are trained on our Privacy Commitment and Policy and Code of Conduct, and informed of their obligations under applicable legislation. All staff is subject to disciplinary measure and/or dismissal when in violation of our Code of Conduct and/or applicable legislation.
Personnel at Acclaim will make readily available to their customers specific information about our policies and procedures relating to the management of their personal information. We will make these policies and procedures readily accessible in person, in writing, by telephone, in corporate literature and on our website.
Clients have the right to access and verify their personal information maintained in our files, and to request that any factually incorrect personal information be corrected, if appropriate. We will comply with any request to access personal information in order to verify that it is accurate and updated. We ask that requests be made in writing. To receive an “Access to Personal Information Request Form,” please contact our Privacy Officer/Team Leader. Access will be granted within 30 days of our receipt of this signed request form. Should more time be required due to the nature of the request, a new timeline for provision will be given to you in writing.
In situations where we are legally prohibited from allowing client access to their personal information, we will advise why we cannot grant access, subject to any legal restrictions.
Inquiries and Concerns
Any party who interacts with Acclaim has a right to challenge our compliance and our policies related to the protection of their personal information. A Privacy Grievance/Inquiry Form can be accessed by contacting our Chief Privacy Officer at email@example.com. Acclaim shall investigate all complaints. If a complaint is found to be justified, we will take appropriate measures, including, if necessary, amending our policies and practices.